Known limitiations for TK1 with mainline kernel

Hi,
We are considering to change to the mainline kernel. What limitations are to be expected? It seems that the K20 chip is properly integrated, so CAN and SPI should work, right? I know that CUDA won’t work but how about OpenCL (on GPU)?
Regards

Hi, We are considering to change to the mainline kernel. What limitations are to be expected?

I guess you would need to specify more closely what exactly you mean by “mainline” kernel plus various topics go way beyond just the “kernel”. As all our modules are more or less fully “mainlined” you may take any recent mainline kernel version and run it on our modules. What exactly the feature set will be, depends heavily on the particular version chosen plus lots of features require further BSP integration (e.g. concerning graphics/multimedia firmware/libraries and such).

For the Apalis TK1 we also deploy a mainline BSP currently based on the Linux kernel 4.14. This one currently only supports basic hardware accelerated OpenGL graphics via Nouveau driver and Mesa graphics stack. Hardware accelerated multimedia capture and playback is not supported.

It seems that the K20 chip is properly integrated,

Yes, in our 4.14 based mainline BSP this is integrated. If you plan on using any different version, such integration would need to be done separately.

so CAN and SPI should work, right?

Yes.

I know that CUDA won’t work but how about OpenCL (on GPU)?

I don’t think there currently even exists any OpenCL stack which may be run on the open-source Nouveau graphics driver which our mainline based BSP is using. So I am afraid this may get rather tricky.