Issue with IMX8MM's GPU

Dear @OmidID ,

I am sorry that you feel this way. We really try our best to help our customers, but the path that you are following is not aligned with our expertise, so Toradex can’t support you properly. But, if you have this expertise (that we don’t), this shouldn’t be a limitation for you.

Actually, @gclaudino.tx answered your question correctly: “it’s indeed not the only solution”. Yocto is not the only solution. You can continue your development in the way that best fits your needs. As an example, you can find Buildroot “recipes” for some Toradex modules online (of course not officially supported by Toradex).

Indeed moving to upstream is a great accomplishment for any device and also helps to reach a very good maturity. But please keep in mind that this is not an easy task. There is also a lot of dependency on NXP support. This very Community helps a lot in this effort as everyone helps to find out issues to be solved in a way or another.

Best regards,

1 Like

Actually, Make the GPU work on your products is not something that complicated that you cannot provide any additional information!!! I do not understand.
if it is customer support then you should have answers for my questions even if it is detail.
So. This is not right if you say “you not use yocto you are out!”. In case if you want to have really customize OS you cannot relay on Yocto because those meta(s) with unlimited patches and referring to each other do not let you to understand how things go and how to configure it. Yocto has a spaghetti architecture and I really don’t know why still this system is used by some big companies such as NXP!

Anyway. I make it work and make a perfect configuration on Buildroot to have a clean build.
I highly suggest you to provide Buildroot configuration. it is using KConfig system exactly same as professional project such as Kernel, Uboot, Busybox, etc… .
In case we can help if you are interested to have it officially.

Don’t get it wrong. I really love Toradex products! They are really high quality. Maybe I’m perfectionist :smiley:

1 Like

Dear @OmidID,

Thanks a lot for your trust and enthusiasm about our products.

And thank you for the product feedback. As @gclaudino.tx and @henrique.tx told you, we are committed to providing the best support to our customers for all products we release.
Currently, we offer support to Yocto/OE only in our reference images. Even TorizonCore is based on Yocto and you can customize it.
Unfortunately, is not possible for us to afford all flavors of building systems to our customers. It will be a tremendous effort and our main focus which is to provide Production Quality software will be impacted.
We are in a continuous process of mainlining everything possible in our products. It will make it easier for community projects to take advantage of our commits and use them in other projects.
We have also a partner ecosystem for cases like yours, where Toradex does not officially support a tool and a customer needs support or even a complete development on this tool. I can put you in contact with some of our partners capable to support Buildroot for your product.

We are always looking for new trends and adopting them as soon as our customers see value in them. It is done periodically and aligned with market and company goals.
It is important to us to understand customer needs and I have now your requirement for buildroot. I will check if we have more requirements in this direction and I hope I can make a plan and support it in the future. I would be a nice addition to our portfolio.
In the meantime, as I mentioned, I can connect you with some of our partners in case you desire.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Renato Kiss
Product Manager for Software

Hello @renato.tx

Thanks a lot for your feedback and describing.

I do agree with you to continue exists products you have. This is defently normal and this is show how your product could be stable in terms of long life support.

I am so glad if we could help, do not hesitate to contact us please.

I found this document useful and describing so well what is the different between Yocto and Buildroot. and benefit of the buildroot.

Thanks again.
Omid Mafakher

Hi @OmidID ,

Thanks a lot for your reply and for the nice document.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Renato Kiss

1 Like