Issue using OV5640 with Apalis iMX8QM V1.0B

I am having trouble getting the OV5640 camera module to work with the iMX8QM V1.0B on the Ixora application board. I am using the latest image openembedded image LinuxImage3.0. I have seen a few of the example gstreamer pipelines in the imx8 Dev forum. I have tried those by default with no success.

As a first step I am trying to determine if my hardware configuration is OK.

Does the iMX8 software still require the OV5640 V1.1Z?
https://www.toradex.com/community/questions/23012/csi-camera-module-5mp-ov5640-v11z.html

Is there a way to determine if my OV5640 module is a version Z? (Besides looking at the label…).
When I ordered the original IMX8 Apalis module (Version A) I was told to order the camera modules at the same time because they needed to be configured for the IMX8. When I look at the modules I received with that order the label says V1.1A.

Hi @mccandlt

Thanks for writing in the Toradex Community!

Does the iMX8 software still require the OV5640 V1.1Z

Actually for Apalis iMX8QM hardware the version 1.1B of OV5640 camera module is required, since iMX8QM does not feature master clock output from the module. OV5640 Camera module 1.1B has an external oscillator assembled.

Is there a way to determine if my OV5640 module is a version Z? (Besides looking at the label…).

The only way I see is to measure if there is a master clock or not? This will tell if the module is version 1.1A or 1.1Z or 1.1B.

When I look at the modules I received with that order the label says V1.1A.

You mean you got the camera module 1.1A. If so, this will definitely not work with Apalis iMX8QM.

Best regards,
Jaski

I was able to get the V1.1B camera module to work. Currently I am using the x264 software encoder. Is there a gstreamer plugin available to use the hardware encoders on the IMX8?

Hi @mccandlt

Sorry for the delayed answer. Yes, you need to install the Qt5 image and not the console image.

Best regards,
Jaski