Installing WEC 2013 with Easy Installer on iMX6 fails to boot

Hi! I am attempting to fix a problem trying to load WEC 2013 v1.3 onto a Colibri iMX6S using the Easy Installer. I am using Easy Installer 1.5 and the stock WEC 2013 v1.3 image from Downloads & Installers | Toradex Developer Center.

After installing the image via Easy Installer and power cycling, the device fails to boot. Easy Installer does not output any error messages, and shows the “Image Installed” screen after it finishes. There is nothing on the screen or anything printed over serial; bootloader doesn’t even come up. The only way to get back into recovery is by manually shorting the recovery pins. This occurs both when installing 1.3 over ethernet and using a usb stick. However, WEC 2013 v1.2 installs just fine using the same v1.5 Easy Installer, so I’m not sure what it is in 1.3 that is causing the issue. Thank you in advance for your help!

Dear @echoone

We are able to reproduce this issue here. It doesn’t happen on all modules, thus we missed the problem during our release tests.

Keeping the module powered off for a few seconds to a few minutes also seems to “solve” the problem on some modules, making them bootable again.
We are working on a fix and hope to have it ready by the beginning of next week.

Meanwhile we also try to collect information about which modules are affected. Would it be possible that you send me the serial number of the failing module(s)?
This is the number printed on the while label - it is also contained in the 2D-Barcode on the sam label.

Thank you for your understanding
Regards, Andy

@andy.tx,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently working on two modules with serial numbers 05133930
and 0514458. By shutting the system down and leaving it for a few minutes before power cycling, I was able to get 0514458 to boot with the updated os. The tip unfortunately did not work for the other module and it still refuses to boot.

Is this an issue with Easy Installer, or WEC v1.3?

Looking forward to your official fix! Thanks again.

@andy.tx

It looks like v1.3.1 of WEC 2013 was released today, but there haven’t been any release notes posted for it yet.

Is there any update on this issue being addressed?

Thanks!

The release notes are under review and will be published today. You will find them here:

Please make sure you scroll down to version 1.3 and 1.3.1 for details. It was a maintenance release for the stable version 1.3 as we saw boot issues with certain modules when very short power-cuts were applied. The WinCE image didn’t change, it is a bootloader update only.
The problem you were seeing with your modules might be related to this update. Please check again with the new bootloader 1.3.1 and let us know if you still see issues.