Installing driver for SIM7600E mobile internet via USB

Hi,
I want to connect a SIM7600E-H to my Colibri iMX7D via USB. I have an eval board with this module and an Iris V1.1.
Today I managed it to connect my PC via USB and this module to the mobile Internet. I have to sort out some Problems with the SIM Card, Provider credentials and Connection, but now it is ok.

I ask, how to connect an WEC2013 System and I get a Driver, here the readme.txt

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
SIMCOM USB Common Serial Host Client Driver for Windows CE7.x.

=============================================================
Setup:
1. Add husbcom_simcom_common.reg to platform.reg, modify the registery settings if necessary.
2. Add husbcom_simcom_common.bib to platform.bib.
3. Copy .\target\%_TGTCPU%\%WINCEDEBUG%\husbcom_simcom_common.* to your BSP\Files directory.
4. Build your os.

Notes:
Support CPU type: ARMV7

Ok, this Looks fine, cause it is for the correct processor type, but it seems that I have to build the OS.

Is there a different way out?

If not, is there a good description how to set up my Environment (Win//VS2015) to get it running?

Thanks a lot

With best regards

Gerhard

Dear @Gerhard,

Thank you for contacting support. If the driver already built for corresponding Windows Embedded Compact version then you can include the driver with the standard release image and run it.

1. Please keep the built driver(.DLL) file onto "\FlashDisk\System\"

2. There must be a registry file(.reg) with the driver package, import the registry and Save registry and Reboot and verify that all the imported the registry are persistent.

3. Connect the USB device then the driver must be loaded now. if you are getting any “Unidentified device” message popup then it means OS can’t able to find the driver.

If it doesn’t work, please share the registry with me and let me have a look at it.

Hi Raja,
I have done all this steps carefully, but get the error: “Unidentified device”.

link text

I copied the Driver, there is a readme.txt included which tells me, that this Driver is made for ARMv7, so this Looks perfect.

Only ‘Problem’ is, that the Directory in which the Driver files were stored reads ‘Windows Embedded Compact 7’.

I also do a reboot after applying the registry Settings and checked the entries.

The module is connected with a checked USB cable, no hub in between.

The module was tested with a Win7 PC and a mobile Internet Connection was successfully established, so module and SIM Card should be ok.

Thanks for helping.

With best regards

Gerhard

… maybe this Setting is a Problem?

1398-usb-otherwise-occupied.png

There is nothing connected to the USB of my Iris Board, development & Debugging goes over Ethernet Connection (cable)

With best regards

Gerhard

… no USB device here?
But otherwise, the Connection is detected by the System, but no Driver found.

1399-no-usb-is-this-correct.png

With best regards

Gerhard

is probably unimodem.dll missing?

Dear @Gerhard,

Windows Embedded Compact 7 driver is not binary compatible with WEC2013. You must use WEC2013 driver. WinCE6 and WinCE7 are binary compatible.

Dear @Gerhard,

The driver may not be exposing and not implemented power management interfaces, hence it won’t appear here and also not sure without looking the code and documentation but it won’t affect the functionality.

… not binary compatible, thats really bad news.

SIMCom provides a WinCE6 driver but this is built for ARMv4I …

With best regards

Gerhard

Dear @Gerhard,

Quickly I checked unimodem.dll is available in a \Windows directory. You need to untick the “Do not show and Hide protected OS files” in My device → view → options.

Hi Raja,

I found this interesting text:

If u-blox developed this driver on a A8 based Beagleboard and wrote …architecture ARM4l … is the driver for ARM4l I get from SIMCom usable an ARMv7?
You told me, I should use CE6 driver cause Windows Embedded Compacr 7 isn’t binary compatible, but the CE6 driver I got is for ARM4l.

I tried it, just replace the .dll and doesnt check the registry, but it Fails again. If there is a Chance from the processors view, I will replace all the registry entries and install the other ones.

With best regards

Gerhard

Dear @Gerhard,

Did you try the DLL to run on WEC2013?
Does the driver be built with ARMv4I instruction? If it is so, Could you please check with the vendor for WEC2013 driver?

WEC7 and WinCE6 are binary compatible. WEC7 can be built the binary for ARMv7 or ARMv4I or ARMv4. It will run on WEC7. WinCE6 can be built the binary for ARMv4I instruction.

Only WEC2013 is not compatible with WEC7 and WinCE6. Please read below documentation for more information:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/embedded/jj919375%28v%3dwinembedded.80%29
https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/visual-studio-2008

Could you please share the driver and registry and let me try to load the driver.

Hi Raja,
ok, so I have the only combination not working, wow, it is always to me!!
I add the Driver package I got. There is dll and reg included for some OS and processors.

I tried WEC7 & Armv7, not working and CE6 & ARMv$l, not working.
I have a working OS builder for now, but nut tried with this Drivers.

Thanks a lot for helping.

With best regards

Gerhard

SIMComm USB Driver package

Dear @Gerhard,

Which WEC version you are using on the module? Is it WEC2013 or WEC7? As you said, there are only WinCE5, WinCE6, and WEC7 drivers but WEC2013 driver is not available.

H Raja,
I use WEC 2013. And I get the info to use CE6 Version. But the CE6 Version I get is for ARMv4i, …

With best regards

Gerhard

Dear @Gerhard,

The CE6 driver will not work on WEC2013. Please contact the vendor for WEC2013 driver or you may not like this solution anyway we would like to suggest WEC7 OS use on your product.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Hi Raja,
I wrote the vendor some days ago, no answer …

I need real time behavior, so if WEC 7 does have this behaviour, why not.

There is a falling edge on a GPIO and than there where about 200µs max. to activate the SPI interface (master) and read ~630 bytes from the slave system. You probably remember the SPI issue we discussed last december.
There is also the bug which causes blocking of high priority tasks in some cases and run all low priority tasks first, this bug is fixed by Microsoft (10/2018). Is this bug also fixed in WEC 7?

With best regards

Gerhard

https://guruce.com/blogpost/windows-embedded-compact-is-not-an-rtos
… ah, WEC7 and WEC 2013, ok. So if this bug is solved now (since 10/2018) is there a Chance to Change from WEC2013 to WEC 7?

Differences in BSP?
Differences in System calls?

With best regards

Gerhard

Dear @Gerhard,

Please wait for a few days to get the update from our colleague(maybe we would contact Microsoft also) and let you know that.

Almost BSP is identical, main differences in Thumb2 instructions are used, new EABI interface but many features are removed. Please read below links for more information.

https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/windows-embedded-compact-2013

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/embedded/gg154234(v=winembedded.80)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/embedded/jj919252%28v%3dwinembedded.80%29

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0706e0a2-3e95-4fe6-928a-db902cabe652/what-
are-the-difference-between-wince2007-and-wince2013?forum=winembplatdev

Please let us know if you have any other question.

… bad News, SimCom just told me, that they cannot deliver a Driver for WEC2013 & ARMv7 …
So no SimCom module available to connect the System to mobile Internet.

With best regards

Gerhard