iMX7D Tezi 5.3.0

New Tezi works nicely except for ignored u-boot-initial-env. Perhaps it works well for EMMC, but not for NAND variants. Stable Tezi 1.8 now crashes loading Monthly feeds from Toradex. In contrast to 1.8 Tezi 5.3.0 doesn’t take ages to load those experimental feeds (1.8 was able to load experimental feeds, but it was taking ages to complete). Tezi 5.3.0 is as fine as 1.8 at relaunching Tezi from U-Boot using distro_bootcmd, I hope it should be fine as well with USB recovery. Compared to Tezi 2.x beta, 5.3.0 is now fine with RealVNC fiewer! Wow! … But we need it to set up some U-Boot environment variables… Perhaps 5.3.0 uses different u-boot env file?

Thanks
Edward

Colibri iMX7D 512MB

Hello Edward,

Thank you we will forward this to the Toradex Easy Installer Team.

Best Regards,

Matthias

Hi @Edward

except for ignored u-boot-initial-env

I don’t get the your question.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx ,

Though, I’m never clear, right? I mean Tezi 5.3.0 doesn’t program U-Boot environment variables from u-boot-initial-env file, which is present along with other tezi image files like image.json, zImage, wrapup.sh etc.
Tezi 1.8 in contrast to 5.3.0 properly takes all U-Boot environment variables specified in u-boot-initial-env file and programmes them all as expected. 5.3.0 fails to do so completely.

I hope it’s clear now

Edward

Hello,

we forward this to the R&D team. So that they can fix it in the next sprint.

Best Regards,

Matthias Gohlke

Hi @matthias.tx,

Didn’t yet check latest stable Tezi 5.4.0 on iMX7D, but on i.MX6ULL initial U-Boot environment is broken the same way. Aren’t you going to fix it?

Edward

Hi @Edward

We specifically test exactly this use-case you described to work. Maybe our test-case is not written well-enough, in this case we would like to improve. Could you share how I can reproduce the issue on my desk?

Best Regards,
Philippe

Hi @philippe.tx ,

It’s simple. Jest let TEZI set any u-boot env variable to non-default state. Let it create new variable, or perhaps better just change defargs to quiet, so you see immediately after reset whether kernel prints lots of strings or just few.

According to TEZI manual json file should specify

“config_format”: “2”

or higher. Then u_boot_env should point to file specifying initial u-boot env settings. I have this in json:

“u_boot_env”: “u-boot-initial-env”

Contents of my u-boot-initial-env is like this:

defargs=user_debug=30 quiet
fdt_fixup=;
ip_dyn=yes

… etc. It works well with stable TEZI 1.8. It stopped working with newer TEZI’s. U-boot environment settings get fully erased, you may see U-Boot saying using default settings due to env checksum error.

Edward

You’re completely right. I just reproduced it on my side. It seems our test is bogus too.

Thank you for reporting this and sorry it took us so long to acknowledge it. I will make sure this gets fixed and our test is adjusted so it doesn’t happen again.

Our internal related issue is TEI-963, it will appear on the release roadmap for Easy Installer within a week: Toradex Easy Installer - Release Detail

Philippe

Thank you for your progress. My main concern is about not getting new units shipped with TEZI with broken initial U-Boot environment. Did you start shipping new units with such TEZI’s? I hope we won’t ever get such ones.

Edward

Hello Edward,

as far as I know the Colibri-iMX7_ToradexEasyInstaller_1.8-20181019 in production.

Best Regards,

Matthias Gohlke

1 Like