iMX7d device tree customization as per our product

Hi,
Need your expert suggestions on device tree customization, as our hardware design is almost finalized.
I want to define all the pins as per design, I have few questions:

1. Are there only two file to modify device tree? (imx7-colibri-eval-v3.dtsi, imx7-colibri.dtsi) or more

2. I want to remove all the existing definitions and use as per board just to make sure there is no conflict and I know which pins I am using for what purpose, can I delete all the existing definitions?

3. At present I build device tree separately and do scp arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7d-colibri-emmc-eval-v3.dtb

root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/media/mmcblk0p1/
    to update, can I rebuild and generate Toradex Easy Installer to get device tree changes in USB bootable image?
    rather than scp (for production)

Hi @neeraj.verma

Are there only two file to modify device tree? (imx7-colibri-eval-v3.dtsi, imx7-colibri.dtsi) or more

This depends on which level you need to make changes for the interfaces you are using. Please have a look at our Developer Article about Device-tree customization for this. The best would be create your own custom-named device-tree and write a OpenEmbedded Build Recipe to create a custom image including the custom-named device-tree. Finally you will need also to adapt the configuration for the Toradex Easy Installer.

I want to remove all the existing definitions and use as per board just to make sure there is no conflict and I know which pins I am using for what purpose, can I delete all the existing definitions?

This depend on your needs. You should start to disable the devices/interface you don’t need and check if the module is still booting.

At present I build device tree separately and do scp arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7d-colibri-emmc-eval-v3.dtb
root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/media/mmcblk0p1/
to update, can I rebuild and generate Toradex Easy Installer to get device tree changes in USB bootable image rather than scp (for production)?

You don’t need to rebuild Toradex Easy Installer. You just have to change the configuration files and build your custom image using OpenEmbedded.

Best regards,
Jaski

Thank you for your inputs. I tried removing all device tree but that did work.
So I started adding my module and looking/debug if that has any conflict.

You are welcome. Let us know your results.