How to remove meta-browser from yocto build?

Newbie yocto question here: I’m trying to trim the angstrom-qt5-x11-image and would like to remove the meta-browser layer from the build process (since our final product does not require launching a browser…) . How would I do that? I’ve tried to remove the meta-browser from the bblayers.conf but then bitbake complains that meta-browser is required for meta-toradex-demos. And when I remove meta-toradex-demos I got some bitbake error complaining about some classes not inherited.

Any feedback or pointers to existing solution page is much appreciated here!

Hi

The real question is why would you want to remove the layer. If you do not include anything from meta-browser in your image then meta-browser is using some of your hard disk space and bitbake takes a little longer when parsing all recipes.

On the other hand, if you remove meta-browser but you build an image which uses something provided by meta-browser bitbake will report an error and abort.

Having said that, if you still want to remove meta-browser this is how its done:

Max

Thanks for the prompt response Max!

I know for sure the browser (eg. firefox) won’t be needed in my end product, hence the idea to simply take out the meta-browser layer to reduce the yocto build time.

As said above, it will not reduce build time (apart from the seconds it takes to parse the 100 recipes in meta-browser).