How to install dev tools offline

I loaded the torizon-core-docker-evaluation-apalis-imx8-Tezi_5.2.0-devel-202104+build.11.container distribution onto an imx8 module off network. Everything seems to be functioning well and I am directed to a Portainer GUI. I would like to continue the setup offline. How do I complete the setup of my board and gain access to the development tools (such as make or gcc) without a network connection?

Is there a Torizon distribution that comes with development tools already installed?

Greetings @breddish,

Do you intend to develop your application directly on the board itself? Generally this isn’t recommended to develop the application on the board. We suggest to develop applications on a host PC and then transfer built binaries to the board.

In the case of Torizon this is all done in containers but again usually requires some network connection between the development PC and the target module at least. What is your exact use-case here for development?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx ,

We hoped to compile and run our code on the board. The board is offline and Docker is not an approved software for our corporate machines at this time. If we were able to download the dev tools container without Docker, that could work, but it looks like the only way to get files from docker is to have the application installed.

If your Toradex board is going to be offline during the entire duration of development and you can’t use Docker then I don’t see how you can practically develop with Torizon.

If this is the case then I would suggest you use our non-Torizon BSP references images instead.

Using the yocto build system you can create your own Linux image with whatever development tools you need (gcc/make/etc). Though I still strongly suggest you don’t compile your application directly on the board itself. But given your restrictions I suppose you don’t have much choice.

Here’s some instructions on getting started with building our reference image: Build a Reference Image with Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded | Toradex Developer Center

Best Regards,
Jeremias