How to get wvdial and gammu sms app

Hey @jaski.tx

Thanks for warm encouragement. I changed my plan as we discussed. I downloaded the rocko linux source files to my localhost and will do devicetree customization and kernel configuration locally. and then cross compile my image. and update som via easy installer.

for wvdial and gammu as you suggested i typed “bitbake wvdial” and “bitbake gammu” it seems its been builded.
wvdial_1.61-r0_armv7at2hf-neon.ipk , gammu_1.32.0-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
files are under deploy/ipk/armv7at2hf-neon/ directory.
there is also wvdial-dbg_1.61-r0_armv7at2hf-neon.ipk and wvdial-dev_1.61-r0_armv7at2hf-neon.ipk and wvdial-doc_1.61-r0_armv7at2hf-neon.ipk files related with wvdial. which file shall i use? same goes for gammu.
Best Regards

You can install these packages with opkg install packagename after doing opkg update. If the packages are not found, then you need to build the needed packages using bitbake and copy them to the SoM.

Best regards,
Jaski

hi @jaski.tx

I am trying to install wvdial to my som but it seems it needs dependencies. I started to install them and
libwvutils4.6 needs libwvstreams-extras and libwvstreams-extras needs libwvutils4.6 to install. I am confused.
Any suggestions?
Reagrds

Yeah, this is circular dependency. You need to install all the packages at once by doing 'opkg install package1 package2 …`

Best regards,
Jaski

libwvutils4.6 needs libwvstreams-extras and libwvstreams-extras needs libwvutils4.6. it is a deadlock. Two packages needed eachother. any suggestions? Regards.

It seems that my earlier comment got deleted. You can install all the packages at same time by typing opkg install package1 package2...

Best regards,
Jaski

Hey @jaski.tx

I managed to use virtual/kernel and did menuconfig on openembedded.
(bitbake -f -c unpack virtual/kernel) (bitbake -f -c menuconfig virtual/kernel). I changed settings on menuconfig and saved them. will those changes apply to the kernel zimage if i build it with bitbake ?
and second question will it be appropriate if i modify device tree outside yocto and get the .dtb file and update my som ?
best regards.

Hi @abobow

I changed settings on menuconfig and saved them. will those changes apply to the kernel zimage if i build it with bitbake ?

Yes, they will.

and second question will it be appropriate if i modify device tree outside yocto and get the .dtb file and update my som ?

You can do this or just change also the devicetree in bitbake environment as explained here.

Best regards,
Jaski

Thank you very much @jaski.tx. Your answers and instructions made a really good impact.
kind regards

You are welcome. I hope that your issue is solved.

Best regards,
Jaski