How to configure and enable timer or counter in apalis imx8mp

Hello,
I have used toradex apalis imx8 processor for customize board.
Please let me know how to configure and enable timer or counter in device tree and how to use timer / counter from user space application ?

We have never had Apalis imx8mp module. Could you please clarify are you talking about Apalis imx8 or Verdin imx8MP?

I have used apalis iMX8QP 2GB [MIMX8QP5AVUFFAB].
Please let me know how to configure and enable timer or counter in device tree and how to use timer / counter from user space application ?
Share me user application to use timer/counter of system if available.

"Unfortunately, we don’t have an iMX8 Linux driver for the General Purpose Timer/Counter (GPT). Therefore, I am unable to provide you with examples of device tree configuration or share a user application. You have a few options to consider: you can develop the driver yourself, include a GPT access API in the System Controller firmware, or utilize the M core for these tasks.

For an example of GPT capture, you can refer to the file gpt_capture.c located at …/driver_examples/gpt/capture/ in the M4 SDK_MEK-MIMX8QX, which is available on on Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder

Hello,
I found some information related to system Timer Counter for i.MX8 mentioned in i.MX_Reference_Manual_Linux.pdf document section 2.1.3.

How to use this “timer-imx-sysctr.c” driver code api’s ?

Hello,

Timer section mentioned in attached screenshot of i.MX_Reference_Manual_Linux.pdf document section 2.1.3.

Hello,
could you please share your thoughts on above query ?

My thoughts - the NXP Linux doesn’t use an GPT timer. Other suggestion I listed in my pervious reply.

Hello,
Could you please update on “timer-imx-sysctr.c” query ?

The inux/drivers/clocksource/timer-imx-sysctr.c is a kernel space driver, specifically for i.MX system counter timer devices, which are used as a clock source in the Linux kernel. It’s not designed to be used from a user space.

Hello,

I followed the above link to use gpt timer but how to use this gpt timer from user-space. Can you please share me the sample application or link to use this gpt timer ?

Hi @dipakshetye,

Were you able to use gpt from userspace if not please check below nxp post we tried to get some response on same. Unfortunately we do not have any dedicated knowledge/article on this as of now.

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar