How to activate DVI, or HDMI device on Colibri IMX6 + Colibri Evaluation board

Hi, trying getting the DVI, or HDMI port on the Colibri Evaluation board running. I connected the IMX6 with the flex cable, as shown in the video on your webpage. (But in the video only VGA will be connected).

If I’m starting the docker container, weston only finds the VGA card, which only privides a resultion of 640x480.

Colibri IMX6DL 512MB
Colibri Evaluation Board v3.28
ID=torizon-upstream
NAME=“TorizonCore Upstream”
VERSION=“6.6.1+build.14 (kirkstone)”
BUILD_ID=“14”
VARIANT=“Docker”

Dockerfile

FROM torizon/weston:3
COPY weston.ini /etc/xdg/weston-dev/weston.ini

docker-compose.yml

version: "3"

services:
  weston:
      container_name: "weston-app"
    cap_add:
      -  CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG
    device_cgroup_rules:
      - 'c 226:* rmw'
    image: anton-paar/weston-app:1
    privileged: true
    build:
      context: .
    scale: 1
    command: --developer
    volumes:
      - source: /dev/
        target: /dev/
        type: bind
      - source: /run/udev
        target: /run/udev
      - source: /tmp
        target: /tmp

weston.ini

[core]
idle-time=0
require-input=false
xwayland=true
modules=screen-share.so

[shell]
panel-position=top
locking=false
allow-zap=true
num-workspaces=1

[output]
name=HDMI-A-1

The output when starting the docker image is…

weston-app  | [14:55:18.679] libinput: configuring device "Lenovo Lenovo Traditional USB Keyboard".
weston-app  | [14:55:18.682] DRM: head 'DPI-1' updated, connector 49 is connected, EDID make     [unknown', model 'unknown', serial 'unknown'
weston-app  | [14:55:18.684] DRM: head 'DPI-1' found, connector 49 is connected, EDID make 'unknown',     model 'unknown', serial 'unknown'
weston-app  | [14:55:18.685] Registered plugin API 'weston_drm_output_api_v1' of size 12
weston-app  | [14:55:18.690] Output DPI-1 (crtc 36) video modes:
weston-app  |                640x480@59.9, preferred, current, 25.2 MHz
weston-app  | [14:55:18.691] Output 'DPI-1' enabled with head(s) DPI-1

cards shown when the container is running

torizon@colibri-imx6-11370950:~/dev$ ll /sys/class/drm/           
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 May 13 14:47 card0 -> ../../devices/platform/etnaviv/drm/card0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 May 13 14:47 card1 -> ../../devices/platform/display-subsystem/drm/card1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 May 13 14:47 card1-DPI-1 -> ../../devices/platform/display-subsystem/drm/    card1/card1-DPI-1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 May 13 14:47 renderD128 -> ../../devices/platform/etnaviv/drm/renderD128

Any suggestions, to get more resultion than only 640x480 on VGA?

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

To activate the DVI or HDMI port on the Colibri iMX6 connected to a Colibri Evaluation Board, you need to ensure that the device tree is correctly configured to support these interfaces. Since you are using TorizonCore, which supports Device Tree Overlays, you might need to enable or modify an overlay that configures the HDMI/DVI output.

1. Check the Current Device Tree Configuration: First, verify which device tree overlays are currently applied. You can do this by inspecting the U-Boot environment variables or by checking the contents of /boot/overlays.txt if TorizonCore is configured to use this method for overlay management.

2. Enable the Correct Device Tree Overlay: If the HDMI or DVI output is not enabled by default, you may need to enable an overlay that supports these interfaces. This involves modifying the U-Boot environment or the /boot/overlays.txt file to include the overlay that configures the HDMI/DVI interface.

3. Modify the Weston Configuration: The weston.ini configuration you provided specifies name=HDMI-A-1 under the [output] section. This is correct for configuring an HDMI output, but ensure that the device tree and the kernel recognize the HDMI interface as HDMI-A-1. If the interface is not recognized or is named differently, Weston will not be able to display through it. You can check the available outputs by running weston-info or looking at the /sys/class/drm directory.

4. Update the Docker Configuration: Your Docker configuration seems to be set up correctly for general Weston usage. However, ensure that the container has access to the necessary devices for HDMI/DVI output. This typically involves binding the correct /dev/dri device and any other relevant devices to the container. Your current configuration binds the entire /dev directory, which is generally sufficient but grants broader access than necessary.

5. Check for Hardware Issues: Ensure that the hardware connections, including the flex cable and any adapters you are using, are correctly set up. Since you mentioned that VGA works but HDMI/DVI does not, it’s also worth checking if there’s an issue with the cable or the monitor.

6. Kernel and Driver Support: Ensure that the Linux kernel version you are using in TorizonCore has support for the HDMI/DVI output for the Colibri iMX6. This might involve checking the kernel configuration or ensuring that the appropriate drivers are included in the TorizonCore build.

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

Setting up Displays with Torizon | Toradex Developer Center.

This was the hint that solved my problem:

With the hint, and the description here I got HDMI/DVI now working:

thanks

Hello @moberza,

Welcome to the Toradex Community!

I am glad the ToradexAI was helpful.
Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,
Bruno