Graphics accelerated X11 application on i.MX8 based SoM

ah, didn’t realize you meant using parts of existing GUI framework to get hardware acceleration within wayland or possibly without it. good idea, though.

i had a short call with a toradex developer this morning and he confirmed more or less everything i suspected and you confirmed as well. as far as i can tell, this is how it looks:

• native X11
    • only hope is that open source graphics driver (etnaviv) is eventually implementing X11 support
  • XWayland
    • hardware acceleration possible, but not out of the box. also can have performance issues or incomplete functionality depending on the application (touchscreen events are buggy, input devices may not work fully)
  • Direct Rendering
    • possible, but would mean to access EGL directly, which in my case, GLFW is not able to do.
  • X11 Docker
    • should run almost any X11 application, but has no hardware acceleration
  • native Wayland
    • here @seasoned_geek’s answer applies: rewrite, using glue-code from existing gui-frameworks or praying/reconfiguring existing interfaces/APIs/backends of the application

Thanks a ton, warning me of the pitfalls that lie ahead. I appreciate it :slight_smile: