Full HD display on imx8 and Ixora

Hi,
We are going to buy an evaluation kit with Apalis iMX8 QuadMax 4GB Wi-Fi / Bluetooth.
We already get contact with customers service and, since I have some question, they suggested me to also post my doubts here, in the community.

Our porpouse is to connect to the system a 15.6" FullHD dual-channel LVDS display (from Ampire).

We just wanna ask if someone have already experienced something similar on imx8 platform,
If someone did it, which display was connected?
Have you found some particoular issue?

Last question: is the lvds interface managed in “direct way” or does the system use a LVDS bridge?
If a bridge is used, which component is it?

Thank you very much.

We just wanna ask if someone have already experienced something similar on imx8 platform, If someone did it, which display was connected?

We actually did the initial bring-up with LG LP156WF1 15.6 inch full HD dual channel LVDS panels:

http://git.toradex.com/cgit/linux-toradex.git/commit/?h=toradex_imx_4.9.51_imx8_beta2-bring_up&id=b7b13555c1f11b65f36493c12b9af3d8c4e89fbb

Have you found some particoular issue?

Not that I’m aware of. However, please understand that nowadays all LVDS testing is pretty much mostly done with our own 10.1 inch one which is only single-channel:

http://git.toradex.com/cgit/linux-toradex.git/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-imx8qm-apalis.dtsi?h=toradex_4.14-2.0.x-imx#n151

Last question: is the lvds interface managed in “direct way” or does the system use a LVDS bridge? If a bridge is used, which component is it?

The LVDS transceiver is built-in to the i.MX 8QuadMax SoC itself, yes, if that’s what you are asking.

Hi Marcel, thank you for your help and your information.
I’m sure I will need community help again in the future :smiley:

You are very welcome.

Hi Marcel,
Just another question:
You told that you just did the initial bring-up with dual channel, but you can confirm that the display was working? I mean, did you see something on it? Images and stuff like this?

Thank you

Yes, of course. We actually used it on any and all initial demos of Apalis iMX8.

We contacted sales and I guess we will order the board and the SOM by Monday :smiley:
Just to be sure, speaking about the display, It is the same working on Ixora or on Apalis Evaluation Board, correct? Just speaking about the display.

Both the Apalis Evaluation Board as well as Ixora have the identical dual-channel LVDS capable connector, yes. Just make sure you have the right adapter/cable that will allow your specific display to be connected as such.

Yes I saw the connector and the “mapping” is the same, we have already contacted our supplier in order to realize the cable.
Really thank for your precious help.

You are welcome.

Hi Marcel, we received i.MX 8QuadMax and Ixora Carried Board, so this should be the last question in this Thread :smiley:
We want to realize a Yocto image, does exist a guide explaining the right procedure to download correct meta and correct components?
Once we have it we will implement our meta.

Thanks

HI @Merlin

For the Yocto image, you can follow the instructions on this page. iMX8 is supported starting from Bsp 3.0.

Best regards,
Jaski