Feasibility of Project on Toradex Modules

Hello,

We want to create a project using the iMX6/7 module and we need to have access to the following:

• 2 to 3 UART Ports (w/o flow control)
  • I2C
  • SPI
  • GPIO Ports (any pin than I want to access, i.e. changing default muxing)

The device would access peripherals over SPI (for flash) and I2C ( for RTC). It would also do some data-logging on the local storage and connect to the internet via ethernet for sending emails over SMTP.

Currently, I am trying to get Device Tree overlays working on Torizon, albeit without any success (TorizonCore Builder Tool Commands - Technical Support - Toradex Community)

Directly modifying the device tree and using it in the Yocto reference image works pretty well for me.

The application software would be written in either Qt or .NET Core with a web-based front-end.

Main concerns regarding this project are ease of modification of the device-tree / kernel for changes to pin configuration or changing the splash screen or other parameters.

What would you recommend as a software environment - Torizon or Yocto BSP based linux?

Thank You and Regards,

Atharva

Greetings @atharvalele,

Let me start out by clarifying the key differences between our Torizon and Yocto BSP offerings.

First of all Torizon is based on top of our Yocto BSP and is also built with Yocto. Therefore anything that can be done in BSP should also be doable in Torizon. The key differences is that Torizon additionally has a container engine (Docker), and an over-the-air update client.

The purpose and reasoning behind Torizon is that not everyone is knowledgeable about Yocto and/or Embedded Linux. Therefore we use additional tooling and container technology to abstract such details in Torizon.

For you the customer, if you are already knowledgeable in such things then the value may not be there for you on Torizon. That being said we assume quite a bit more knowledge when someone works with the BSP rather than Torizon. While we do provide some basic documentation we don’t go too much into details. For example on the BSP we expect customers to be able to work with the Yocto build system directly themselves and be knowledgeable about Linux kernel customization. Also we don’t provide any major additional tooling with the BSP like we do with Torizon. Meaning no IDE extensions and such other tools.

Given this I’ll say based on the requirements you listed you should be able to accomplish this on either Torizon or the Yocto BSP. The decision will come down to what kind of user experience do you want while developing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about the distinctions between both of our Linux offerings.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like