EasyInstaller - install image from console

@gustavo.tx Thanks a lot for your patience!

That’s a good one, I will try it next week.

I have just found a pretty ugly (slow) work around as well:

1. start Easy Installer on our carrier board attached to the internet via ethernet
  2. Install Easy Installer from your Toradex feed
  3. Switch the Colibri to the Aster carrier board
  4. Install my image on the Aster via USB
  5. Switch back to our carrier board

Pretty nasty though ; )

@tgsell you can always do the whole process using the Aster - load the Easy Installer and install your image - then transfer the module back to your board.
Let me know your results!

@gustavo.tx unfortunately I cannot… if I have flashed my adapted u-boot, because of the different pin mapping, USB stick or SD card also won’t work on the Aster. And I won’t be able to boot Easy Installer.

I will let you know.

@marcel.tx easy for you to say ; )

As I need to be able to use as many LPSR pins from iMX7 as possible for special energy saving modes on our device (e.g. for USB power control in deep sleep mode), I do not want to waste one of them for SD card detect! But as Toradex has chosen to use CTRL_WAKE_0 as standard chip detect pin (what I actually do not understand in the first place) and the standard USB power control pin is not LPSR capable, I can not get around this pin mapping.

@tgsell oops, sorry, I got it now: the Toradex Easy Installer itself is not detecting any USB stick or SD card because of your different hardware, right?

There’s still a way to use the Toradex Easy Installer. You can create your own Toradex Easy Installer feed locally and download your image over your local network. This part of the article describes is a way to do it. This example uses nginx as a web server, but I’ve been using a simple python3 -m http.server command to launch an HTTP server. What matters is to have the image files and the image_list.json file pointing to the correct location.

Thou shalt not use different such pins!

I do understand. However, there are just 2-3 pins like USB cable detect, MMC/SD card detect which if changed will make it rather tricky to use any of our regular tooling. That said, one may of course change anything but will then also need to properly customise whatever tooling.

@marcel.tx sure, I do understand that as well. And that is exactly why I am in the run of customizing the tooling and asking these questions. Thanks to all the help in this community, I think I am on the right track now. Very much appreciated!

You are very welcome.

I am working remote. VNC is slow at connection. If possible, installing from cli is preferable.

Not officially supported, sorry.