Driver MCP2517FD Colibri iMX6

Hello everyone. I had a question about the choice of the CAN device with Colibri iMX6.
Did you use the new CAN MCP2517 device?
Can the driver in the linux image that manage MCP2515 device in the Colibri Evaluation Board also manage MCP2517 device?
It’s compatible?
Thanks Davide

Hello Davide

We are just using the MCP2515 on our colibri evolution board (ver 3.2B). The MCP2515 has very limited transmit and receive message buffers. We suggest you to bypass MCP2515 and use the can periphrial of the imx6dl for CAN communication. Which version of Colibri Evolution version do you have?

Best regards, Jaski

Hi Jaski,
I’m using Colibri iMX6DL 512MB V1.0B IT. In another project I had used MCP2515 and It had very low performance. For this reason in the new board we have inserted a MCP2517. Have you had experience with the MCP2517?
Regards Davide

The MCP2517FD requires a different/new Linux kernel driver which has not yet even made it mainline. Given that device is brand new we have no experience with it as of yet and you are the first customer ever to even mention it. I guess you may try above mentioned driver and report how that went.

Thank you Marcel. Regards Davide