Device Failes to start windows ce7

If the device is reset while connected to the pc via wmdc using USB cable the device fail to load windows and nk7.bin needs to be re-flashed for the device to work again.
device is colibri imx7d 1gb v1.1a

Could you please:

• flash a fresh OS image using Toradex Easy installer
  • Enable debug messages
  • Connect to Colibri debug UART (UART1) using any terminal program on your PC
  • Start logging at that terminal program.
  • Reproduce an issue.
  • Save logs and share it here as an attached text file.

Please specify which OS image you are using.

Toradex Bootloader 1.2 for iMX7 Built Feb 1 2019
Reset cause: Power-up sequence
Colibri iMX7D 1GB 1.1A Serial: 06949518
RAM :1 GB
eMMC :4 GB

Press [SPACE] to enter Bootloader Menu

Initiating image launch in 0 seconds.
System ready!
Preparing for download…
Loading OS Image
Loading uncompressed image…
Reading image size from sector 303105
Loading 57319528 bytes to RAM

Done.
OEMLaunch: 0x80180000

Toradex Windows CE 7.0 1.2 for iMX7 Built Feb 1 2019
SMP support enabled
CPU0 started
CPU1 started
MP Detected, # of CPUs = 00000002
NKStartup done, starting up kernel. nCpus = 2
Windows CE KernelInit
Booting Windows CE version 7.00 for (ARM)
Memory Configuring: Total pages: 245589, Filesystem pages = 30698
Booting kernel with clean memory configuration:
Total Memory Sections:5
[0] (static): start: 8387b000, extension/attributes: 00023000, length: 08b56000
[1] (dynamic): start: 008c4000, extension/attributes: 0000d800, length: 033ff000
[2] (dynamic): start: 00900000, extension/attributes: 00040800, length: 10000000
[3] (dynamic): start: 00a00000, extension/attributes: 00040800, length: 10000000
[4] (dynamic): start: 00b00000, extension/attributes: 00040800, length: 10000000
Scheduling the first thread.
PGPOOL: Reserved 768 pages for Loader pool
PGPOOL: Reserved 256 pages for File pool
Message Queue support initialized, g_hMsgQHeap = b5080010
Resuming all CPUs, g_pKData->nCpus = 2
CPU 2 started, ready to reschedule, ppcb = fffd9800
All CPUs resumed, g_nCpuReady = 2
Filesys doesn’t exist, no app started

I can’t reproduce this issue. Could you please provide more details?

• Carrier board you are using
  • How exactly carrier board is connected to dev machine
  • WinCE7 BSP version

The Colibri iMX7 1GB does not have Toradex Easy Installer WinCE image. So could you describe how did you flash WinCE7?

Dear Toradex
The carrier board we are using is Viola Plus v1.2 installation stops are loading loading eboot then flashing eboot then erasing filesystem via eraseflash filesystem then flashimage nk8.bin. when I write to the flash the boards fails to loads I have tried this with Windows ce7 and ce8 versions 1.2 and 1.3b2 the most stable is ce8 1.3b2 but still the problem exists. Also I noted that the flash disk is just 40mb

Once again, I can’t repro your issue. Everything works as expected. Pleas check attached boot log.

As about your case - looks like eMMC is not erased properly. Please note that Toradex does not support WinCE on 1GB Colibri iMX7 modules and they come without a WinCE license. WinCE license comes with 256MB and 512MB versions of Colibri iMX7 modules. To use WinCE with 1GB modules, you need to obtain a license from Microsoft or their dealer.

eBoot “eraseflash filesystem” does not work for 1GB modules. You can erase flash by loading Toradex Easy Installer and using its erase command.

Dear Alex

Erasing the flash from Toradex easy installer seems to fix the problem. I have 2 questions.
1 will eboot support erasing 1gb flash anytime soon
2 The module seems to lose updated registry stored on flash and default to original registry in os image. this happens when you restart the module several times without fully booting wince.

1 No we don’t have any plans for it since Toradex do not support WEC on Colibri iMX7 1Gb

2 Could you please specify:
WinCE version?
BSP version?
When exactly you interrupt boot process? (Please enable a serial debug to monitor which OS component was loaded before a reboot)

Dear Alex
1 I was told by your sales department that the IMX7 1GB supports wince i just need to buy a license for it from Microsoft. anyhow to fix this problem can you provide me with the source for eboot to clear the flash from it and send me the steps needed to clear flash on IMX7 so i can do it my self.
2 wince version: iMX7 WinCE7 Image (1.3 | 2021-11-25 | 33.12 MB)
BSP Version iMX7 WinCE7 BSP (1.3 | 2021-11-25 | 1.04 MB)
It is being reset every 3 seconds by an external board.

Yes, in general, Colibri iMX7 1GB supports WinCE. So either yourself or some other company can create a WinCE BSP fully compatible with that module. And then you can legally use it after obtaining a license from Microsoft. However the iMX7 WinCE BSP provided by Toradex was designed for Colibri iMX7 256/512MB. From a technical prospective you can install that BSP on Colibri iMX7 1GB and it will work with some limitation. But it’s neither legal (unless you obtain license from Microsoft) nor supported by Toradex. Your company may discuss the terms of the contract by which Toradex will customize WnCE Colibri iMX7 1GB and provide a technical support.

The eBoot source code is proprietary and cannot be shared without a signed nondisclosure agreement and royalty payment.

You can replace Colibri iMX7 1GB modules by Colibri iMX7 512Mb to have a WinCE license and supported BSP.