Creating a Custom DTB file for a Custom Carrier Board Using an i.MX7D Colibri

Hello,

I’m trying to determine how to setup the files on the SD card that are used to update the Linux Kernel and device tree binary on our Colibri i.MX7D board.

I’ve created a custom dts file that I’m trying to use in place of the imx7d-colibri-eval-v3.dts file.

I’m able to build our custom dts file, into a dtb file, just fine with no errors.

I did modify the update.sh file by replacing the line:

KERNEL_DEVICETREE=“imx7s-colibri-eval-v3.dtb imx7d-colibri-eval-v3.dtb”

with

KERNEL_DEVICETREE=“imx7s-colibri-eval-v3.dtb imx7d-.dtb”

where is the name of our custom carrier board.

I tried running ./update.sh after the change, but it did not successfully copy our custom dtb file over to the SD card, so I manually copied our custom dtb file to the SD card, attached the SD card to the carrier board, and then tried to execute: “run update_fdt”.

I received the following output:

Colibri iMX7 # run update_fdt
reading colibri_imx7/imx7d-colibri-eval-v3.dtb
** Unable to read file colibri_imx7/imx7d-colibri-eval-v3.dtb **
Colibri iMX7 #

The updater is still looking for the original imx7d-colibri-eval-v3.dtb file and not the new custom dtb file.

What do I need to do to make this work so that we can update flash with our custom dtb file, and how do I properly modify the “update.sh” script file so that when the script is run it copies our custom dtb file over to the SD Card used for updating?

Is there a document you have somewhere that covers this? I could not find one.

Thank You

I believe that U-Boot uses expression ${soc}-colibri-${fdt_board}.dtb to load correct DTB file, so you have to set variable called fdt_board in U-Boot environment to desired value.

I am not sure what is exact name of your DTB file (the information seems to be missing in your post), but if you have file called imx7d-colibri-my-carrier-board.dtb, then you have to run following commands in U-Boot:

setenv fdt_board my-carrier-board
saveenv

Thanks EGM! This worked perfect! It’s exactly what I needed. :).

Thank You.