Cortex-M JTAG Debugging for Verdin iMX8M-Mini

In Running the Debugger I read

Open your terminal and type, for Apalis iMX8 and Verdin iMX8M modules:

$ JLinkGDBServer -if JTAG -device <DEVICE>

Where DEVICE should be replaced with one of the above:
Verdin iMX8M Mini MIMX8MM6_M4

I see in Verdin iMX8M-Mini datasheet, paragraph 1.3.1 CPU that

• Verdin iMX8M Mini Quad has MIMX8MM6…
  • Verdin iMX8M Mini DualLite has MIMX8MM3…

As a matter of fact the MCUXpresso SDK from NXP has two different folders:

• /devices/MIMX8MM6 for Verdin iMX8M Mini Quad
  • /devices/MIMX8MM3 for Verdin iMX8M Mini DualLite

Which <DEVICE> should I use with
$ JLinkGDBServer -if JTAG -device <DEVICE>
with Mini DualLite?
MIMX8MM6_M4 (as in the table), or MIMX8MM3_M4?

Hi @vix,

Checking the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK-MIMX8MM that comes with the NXP MCU SDK, for both processors MIMX8MM6 and MIMX8MM3, it mentions MIMX8MM6_M4 for the device.
I believe in this case you can stick to MIMX8MM6_M4 option.

Can you please use the MIMX8MM6_M4 and check if also works for you?

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
Hiago.

I asked to NXP tech support.
They told me that the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK-MIMX8MM has been written and tested with a Mini Quad, that needs MIMX8MM6.
They’re not 100% sure :scream:, but probably, for the Mini Dual, the MIMX8MM3_M4 should be used.

Here is the answer from NXP:

Please try setting the MIMX8MM3_M4, that is the CPU for the Mini DualLite. I guess that in the getting started document was tested with a Mini Quad, that is what has more features and cores.
I am sure that both can works well, but I am not sure if then you can have some issues if you use the MIMX8MM6.
But yes, I am totally agree with you: both MIMX8MM3_M4 and MIMX8MM6_M4 works (at least at a first sight).

I tried both the option and, at a firsy sight, both of them work.

Hi @vix,

Thanks for letting us know!

I can see the same happen on my side, both of them work. I couldn’t see any differences, I didn’t go into much detail (just tested with the hello world demo). In that case, we should choose the MIMX8MM3_M4 option, although it’s hard to say the difference.

Anyways, thanks for letting us know, I will give this feedback so we can improve our docs.

Best Regards,
Hiago.