Configuring Wifi before knowing ip address

In a few weeks I’ll be going down to clients place to test the Verdin module at there place. I will not have access to ethernet, but wifi will be made available.

1. How do you configure the wifi from the terminal and have it be saved after reboot?
  2. Can you ssh with USB to get to a terminal
  3. I have tried to get to a terminal locally by hooking up a keyboard/mouse and HDMI, but all that comes up on the HDMI is portainer. How do I make it default to terminal.

Hello @jeffbelz ,

Can you please share with us your setup? Which module are you using? Which image are you running?

Have you tried to use the debug serial instead of accessing via SSH? It should be a better option for locally debugging. Another option is using your computer as a DHCP server and then passing the IP to the module just to SSH into it or you can even setup a static IP on the module that must be on the same range of your computer’s network.

Answering your questions:

1. How do you configure the wifi from the terminal and have it be saved after reboot?
    A: For Torizon please take a look at this article, for the BSP 5 please take a look at this article.
  2. Can you ssh with USB to get to a terminal
    A: It is possible but it requires system configuration to enable RNDIS. You can also use a USB-Ethernet conversor.
  3. I have tried to get to a terminal locally by hooking up a keyboard/mouse and HDMI, but all that comes up on the HDMI is portainer. How do I make it default to terminal.
    A: The default application that boots is Portainer, you can change the application by taking a look into systemd services, but that is not the best approach.

Best regards,
Daniel Morais