Configure Toradex IMx7 colibri evaluation board as full duplex master

Hi community…!

I am trying to initialize lan9252(Ethercat slave) with toradex IMX7 colibri evaluation board with spi using spidev but i couldnt able to initialize so i want to check like whether that colibri evaluation board configured as full duplex master or slave if its configured as a slave i want to configure it as a full duplex master so please guide me to do so

Thanking You
Uday kumar

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Hello,

Configuring the Colibri iMX7 module to operate as a full-duplex SPI master involves several steps, primarily focused on adjusting the device tree and ensuring the correct SPI driver is in use. Here’s a guide to help you through the process:

1. Device Tree Configuration: The first step is to ensure that the SPI interface is correctly defined in the device tree used by your Colibri iMX7 module. You’ll need to modify the device tree to specify that the SPI interface should operate in master mode. Locate the SPI node in the device tree source (DTS) file. It should look something like this:
&ecspiX { /* Replace X with the actual SPI controller number */
    status = "okay";
    pinctrl-names = "default";
    pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_ecspiX>;
    cs-gpios = <&gpioX Y GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>; /* Replace X and Y with actual GPIO controller and pin number, if chip select is managed via GPIO */
    spidev: spidev@0 {
        compatible = "spidev";
        reg = <0>; /* Chip select index */
        spi-max-frequency = <20000000>; /* Adjust the max frequency as needed */
    };
};

Ensure that the status property is set to "okay" to enable the SPI interface, and the SPI node is configured for the correct ECSPI controller (ecspi1, ecspi2, etc.) that your hardware connection uses.

1. SPI Driver (spidev): The Linux kernel provides a generic SPI device driver called spidev that allows user-space applications to communicate with SPI hardware. Your device tree snippet above includes a spidev node, which is necessary for user-space SPI communication.

2. Kernel Configuration: Make sure your Linux kernel is configured with support for the SPI controller (CONFIG_SPI_IMX) and CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV. This can typically be done through the kernel menuconfig (make menuconfig) under the SPI support section.

3. Testing with spidev: Once you have correctly configured the device tree and rebuilt your kernel (if necessary), you can use the spidev_test utility (usually available in the Linux kernel documentation) to test SPI communication. This utility allows you to send and receive data over SPI from user space, which can be helpful for verifying that your SPI interface is correctly configured as a full-d

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

SPI (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center.

Hi @uday1012 ,

Please refer to Sec 5.11 SPI on Colibri iMX7 datasheet.
SPI ports by default are configured as master in the device tree
Let me know if you need further information.