Colibri VF50 prints nothing on Terminal

my Colibri VF50 module does not boot up and nothing is printed on Terminal (UARTA).
I tried to put it in the recovery mode using this but nothing is printed on Terminal and I failed!

I am not sure what I did wrong, I was just trying to flash Linux to VF50 module using this. to be honest, I messed up lots of things:

• erasing NAND several times
  • tried to install “Toradex Easy Installer” with - no success!
  • tried to install u-boot and e-boot
  • SD card /OTG/USB flash connection

By the way, I am sure the iris carrier board and Serial Connection (RTS/CTS enabled) are OK I tested them with my Second VF50.

my Colibri VF50 module does not boot up and nothing is printed on Terminal (UARTA). I tried to put it in the recovery mode using this but nothing is printed on Terminal and I failed!

Please note that upon the module entering recovery mode nothing will actually ever be printed as the SoC’s boot ROM just sits there waiting for you to initiate the upload.

I am not sure what I did wrong, I was just trying to flash Linux to VF50 module using this. to be honest, I messed up lots of things:

erasing NAND several times

That should not matter if you at least do a create_bcb and update_uboot again afterwards.

tried to install “Toradex Easy Installer” with - no success!

There is no such thing as a Toradex Easy Installer for the Colibri VF50/VF61.

tried to install u-boot and e-boot

Note that after erasing the NAND flash you will also need to do a create_bcb besides flashing a boot loader.

SD card /OTG/USB flash connection

On the Colibri VF50/VF61 recovery mode exclusively works via serial UART connection.

By the way, I am sure the iris carrier board and Serial Connection (RTS/CTS enabled) are OK I tested them with my Second VF50.

That’s good.

What exact BSP version did you use when attempting ./update.sh -d ?

I am using “imx_uart.exe COM1: .\vybrid_uboot.conf” located in recovery folder in “colibri-vybrid_winceimage_1.6-20190319.zip” it stucks at “starting associating phase”

Dear @hsvz,

Could you try to program WinCE image as described here : https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/colibri-vf50-vf61-wince-bring-up#Flashing_the_Bootloader_On_Non_booting_modules and let us know the feedback.

If you see “FCB is not valid!” debug message then follow these steps : http://www.toradex.com/community/comments/17595/view.html to program confib block and bootloader then reboot and program WinCE image.

If WinCE image is booting then we would say the module is alive and we will figure out to program Linux on the module.

While doing all the steps, please log serial debug output and share with us. Thank you.

Also, I will appreciate if you share exact step by steps instructions you followed to program WinCE or Linux image on the module.

for the record, it turned out that the null modem cable I have been using was only a crossed RX,TX lines only !alt text and RTS/CTS pins were not wired!
I built a cable with these pinouts and it works now.

by the way, João Marcelo has some more to say on his blog.

Thanks for your Input.

Best regards,
Jaski