Colibri-imx8x_atmel-mxt_overlay problem

Hello,

First, working with Torizon and after applying device tree overlays everything worked “out of the box”.

I build tdx-reference-multimedia-image(BSP 5.0.0) with no problem.

Then I connected your 7" capacitive touchscreen and after some struggle(i needed to add colibri-imx8x_parallel-rgb_overlay.dtbo and display-lt161010_overlay.dtbo) was able to get output on the screen but touch was not working.

When i add colibri-imx8x_atmel-mxt_overlay.dtbo the board doesn’t boot. It gets stuck at Starting kernel …

dmesg output: dmesg output · GitHub

Thank you for your answer!

Best regards Anze

Hi @stravs,

Could you provide more information about your environment?

• For your tests with TorizonCore, which version it was?
  • About your tdx-reference-multimedia-image, are you building the image with this repo reference? repo init -u Index of /toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml
  • For your Yocto build, please provide me the output of “/etc/os-release” and “/etc/issue”.

If the board gets stuck in that point, you can remove the overlay. Please check this tutorial - Removing a Conflicting DTO.

I’d like to ask you to try the following:

1. Download one of the latest nightly release of Toradex Easy Installer as detailed here.
  2. Load the Toradex Easy Installer in your Colibri iMX8X (if you have any issues, try it by putting the module in Recovery Mode).
  3. With the Toradex Easy Installer (2.0b6) loaded, go to the “Feeds” option (in the top Menu). In the window that will appear, click the 3rd box, for “Toradex Continuous Integration Server”. It will load the feeds, this may take a while.
  4. In the list that will appear, mark and install one of our latest Toradex Embedded Linux multimedia images, like the Multimedia image 5.1.0-devel-20201014+build.96 or newer.

Then, I ask you to try again to activate your device tree overlay.
If the error persists, I’ll forward this issue to our BSP team.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Hi Andre,

-For your tests with TorizonCore, which version it was?

TorizonCore with evaluation containers for V1.0B

TorizonCore 4.0.0-devel-202009+build.23 (zeus)

-About your tdx-reference-multimedia-image, are you building the image with this repo reference? repo init -u Index of /toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml

Yes

-For your Yocto build, please provide me the output of “/etc/os-release” and “/etc/issue”.

/etc/os-release

ID=tdx-xwayland
NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland"
VERSION="5.0.0-devel-20201007080350+build.0 (dunfell)"
VERSION_ID=5.0.0-devel-20201007080350-build.0
PRETTY_NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.0.0-devel-20201007080350+build.0 (dunfell)"

/etc/issue

TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.0.0-devel-20201009081757+build.0 (dunfell) \n \l
Colibri-iMX8X-V10B_Reference-Multimedia-Image

Did like you said and installed a 5.1.0 version from Easy Installer and touch works!

/etc/os-release

ID=tdx-xwayland
NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland"
VERSION="5.1.0-devel-20201015+build.97 (dunfell)"
VERSION_ID=5.1.0-devel-20201015-build.97
PRETTY_NAME="TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.1.0-devel-20201015+build.97 (dunfell)"

Now I have an additional question.

When will 5.1.0 be available from repo init -u Index of /toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards, Anze

Hi @stravs,

I’m happy to see that you managed to get your touchscreen working now.

About your question:

When will 5.1.0 be available from repo init -u Index of /toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml?

Please have a look at here: Embedded Linux Release Matrix

Our monthly is expected to be released by “upcoming 11/2020”.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Hi André,

Yes, I am also very happy to get it working :slight_smile:

A do have another question. If it’s an easy fix could you tell me what I have to do to get the colibri-imx8x_atmel-mxt_overlay working with 5.0.0. otherwise, I will wait for the release.

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards Anze

Hey André,

I was able to build the image and when I applied the overlays everything worked.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards Anze

You can do it in two ways:

1. Downloading the nightly builds for the Embedded Linux BSP through the Toradex Easy Installer or through our Artifactory.
  2. Or setting your Yocto build to use our Nightly builds.

In case you want to use the Nightly builds, please be aware that this is constantly updated and is open to bugs/issues.

I have the impression that you want to build the image yourself. So, you can do that by changing your repo to the following definitions:

• Use the integration.xml:

repo init -u Index of /toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/integration.xml

• You need to change the file build/conf/local.conf adding the following parameter:

MACHINEOVERRIDES =. “use-head-next:”

• Then you are ready to go with a Yocto build, as usual (. export, bitbake…, etc…)

Please let me know if that helps you!
If you find any bugs, we’ll be happy to know.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Hi @stravs,

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
André Curvello