Colibri imx6ull wifi via LM816

Hello all,

I have the following system:
Colibri IMX6ULL 512MB
Operating system: The Ångström distribution v2017.12
Kernel: Linux 4.9.220-2.8.7+g57229263ff65
Eval.-Board: Iris Rev 2.0

I am trying to get wifi through the LM816 wifi adapter. When I start lsusb says:
root@colibri-imx6ull:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 048d:1168 Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

So the device is detected. But when I run ifconfig it shows only eth0. I know from Debian that you have to set up etc/network/interfaces, but there is no such file in Angstrom.

How can I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Wilhelm

Hi @Wilhelm !

As you can see from the LM816 USB WiFi | Toradex Developer Center page, this Wi-Fi USB adapter is not recommended for Embedded Linux.

Best regards,

Hey @henrique.tx,

thank you for the advice. Not recommended does not mean impossible and the colibri imx6ull is listed under the compatible products for the LM816. By the way, when you are in the shop and look for accessories this recommendation is missing, it only says that it works under windows via plug and play.
So what would you suggest:

• Is it possible to install Windows CE to the imx6ull ?
  • Alternatively, would it be possible to connect a second ethernet adapter via usb?
    (that would help me as well)

Best regards,
Wilhelm

Hi @Wilhelm,

That’s true. It is not one of the easiest tasks though. Our team was testing that but had to realize that the driver was not really reliable and the signal quality was bad.

We’ll forward that to the team and they will make sure to place the recommendation there as well. To avoid any confusion.

It is possible but not recommended by Toradex. Toradex wont update the WinCE software as we’re slowly moving away from it. To always have the latest software by Toradex, Embedded Linux is the right choice here.

Yes it definitely is. Here I am a bit worried about the mechanical implications as USB does not have a locking mechanism as the ethernet connector has. So depending on your environment, the cable might get disconnected.

There’s also a list of other devices that were tested by Toradex at some point. This might be also a starting point for you.

Have a great day.
Best Regards