Colibri iMX6 Recovery Mode Process

For recovery mode, what is the difference between using the USB serial loader (UART A) versus the USBC interface? I am assuming that the USB serial loader allows to download new software when there are issues with using the bootloader, so then what is the USBC used for?

Thanks

Hi

For recovery mode, what is the difference between using the USB serial loader (UART A) versus the USBC interface?

You would be doing something we at Toradex so far never did. I also think that the i.MX6 boot rom does only support USB.

I am assuming that the USB serial loader allows to download new software when there are issues with using the bootloader, so then what is the USBC used for?

Yes, the recovery mode is used to download data when the bootloader no longer gets executed. This is something rarely needed. Then the procedure is as follows:

• bring the module in recovery mode aka. serial download mode.
  • download U-Boot from a PC over USBC into the modules RAM and execute it. (‘update -d’ on the PC)
  • U-Boot gets executed in RAM and provides its command line interface on the debug UART. (On Colibri UART A)
  • Use U-Boot’s command line interface to flash the image into eMMC.

Max

ok I think I got confused between the two. In the colibri datasheet under section 5.11, UART A is used as standard debug interface for the Toradex operating systems. This completely different than the USBC interface and the purpose of having USBC, correct? The UART A would be used for the serial console debugging, whereas the USBC is strictly for recovery mode.

Is it possible to use USBC for the serial console rather than UART A or not?

Thanks

Is it possible to use USBC for the serial console rather than UART A or not?

No. Not really.