BSP 2.8.7 Wifi Issues

Hello!

After the upgrade to the BSP 2.8.7 we got some strange wifi issues.

Customers with multiple access points experience a sudden connection lost after a random time.
After some time, we recognized, that only customers with multiple access points are affected.

We tested this with the following Setups:

• two smartphones with activated hotspot with the same SSID/Password
  • two Sophos APs with a WIFI controller

The easiest way to test it, is by having one smartphone hotspot near the device, and the other one far away. Make sure the device is connected to the hotspot and then swap the smartphones.

Tested wifi dongles:

• Toradex LM816 USB Wifi V1.0A
  • Edimax EW7811Un

This is the result on a colibri-imx6 with a 2.8.7 image:

connmanctl> services wifi_34c9f091221a_74657374_managed_psk
/net/connman/service/wifi_34c9f091221b_74657374_managed_psk
  Type = wifi
  Security = [ psk ]
  State = failure
  Error = connect-failed
  Strength = 100
  Favorite = True
  Immutable = True
  AutoConnect = True
  Name = test
  Ethernet = [ Method=auto, Interface=wlan0, Address=34:C9:F0:91:22:1B, MTU=1500 ]
  IPv4 = [  ]
  IPv4.Configuration = [ Method=dhcp ]
  IPv6 = [  ]
  IPv6.Configuration = [ Method=auto, Privacy=disabled ]
  Nameservers = [  ]
  Nameservers.Configuration = [  ]
  Timeservers = [  ]
  Timeservers.Configuration = [  ]
  Domains = [  ]
  Domains.Configuration = [  ]
  Proxy = [  ]
  Proxy.Configuration = [  ]
  Provider = [  ]

As you can see the device is not connected anymore and has the status failure. A power recycle or unplugging/plugging the wifi dongle solves this problem, however is not really suitable as work around for us.

If I do the same test with 2.8.6 image, I get following result:

connmanctl> services wifi_34c9f091221a_74657374_managed_psk
/net/connman/service/wifi_34c9f091221a_74657374_managed_psk
  Type = wifi
  Security = [ psk ]
  State = online
  Strength = 38
  Favorite = True
  Immutable = True
  AutoConnect = True
  Name = test
  Ethernet = [ Method=auto, Interface=wlan0, Address=34:C9:F0:91:22:1A, MTU=1500 ]
  IPv4 = [ Method=dhcp, Address=192.168.43.221, Netmask=255.255.255.0, Gateway=192.168.43.1 ]
  IPv4.Configuration = [ Method=dhcp ]
  IPv6 = [  ]
  IPv6.Configuration = [ Method=auto, Privacy=disabled ]
  Nameservers = [ 192.168.43.1 ]
  Nameservers.Configuration = [  ]
  Timeservers = [ 192.168.43.1 ]
  Timeservers.Configuration = [  ]
  Domains = [  ]
  Domains.Configuration = [  ]
  Proxy = [ Method=direct ]
  Proxy.Configuration = [  ]
  Provider = [  ]

Hey @Toradex!

It has been 10d since my question. Do you have any information/update on how to fix this issue without reverting to the 2.8.6?

Hi, @cheesi

Sorry for the delay.

About WiFi Roaming, it is a topic affected by several items:

• support/assistance by the Access Points
  • support/assistance by the dongles/drivers
  • interaction between the dongles and the kernel/BSP

About the driver(s) of the dongle(s), as the kernel version changed, it is possible that some work on the driver could be needed.

Since you are trying to upgrade the BSP, could you try with the most recent version of the BSP?

Best regards.

Hey @henrique.tx !

Unfortunately not really. We have some dependencies on the “Legacy Update Tool” which isn’t included in the BSP starting with version 3.0. You actually can refer to this question I asked in 2019 and the answer was to stick to BSP 2.8: Roadmap BSP 3.0

So no, a upgrade to BSP 5.0 is not a suitable solution for us at this point.

Hi @cheesi

What drivers are being probed by these dongles? You can get this information from the dmesg command. Did you had to build/insert them, or they are already available in the kernel (as builtin or modules)?

Also, can you check the chipset of these dongles? You can check it by getting the vendor ID (VID) and product ID (PID) from the lsusb command and searching for on the internet.

Best regards

Hi @henrique.tx

As requested. No, we didn’t manually include any drivers.

The following tests were done on a images based with 2.8.7:

Toradex LM816 USB Wifi V1.0A

dmesg:

[12974.081711] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ci_hdrc

lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

Chipset: RTL8188CUS

Edimax EW7811Un

dmesg:

[12678.207427] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ci_hdrc

lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Chipset: RTL8188/92cu

BR Christian

Hi @cheesi.

As a workaround, you could try to create a service that could monitor the connection and issue a reconnection/reset on the wifi dongle.

Also, I really advise you to at least try with a newer BSP, as the version you are using is quite old and it will soon lose support, please check our Toradex Embedded Linux Support Strategy.

Best regards,

Hey @henrique.tx !

Thanks for the idea regarding the workaround. I will discuss this with our product management.

Regarding the upgrade to a new BSP: we would be happy to try out a new version, if there is a suitable update solution for us, on how to remotely update the linux image of a device.

As far as I can recall, the “Legacy update tool” was removed starting with BSP 3. I even asked a question regarding this: Roadmap BSP 3.0
The answer back then was to stick with the old BSP 2.*.

So if there is a solution for that, we are happy to upgrade.

Our current workflow looks like this:

• we prepare the whole image including the execution of the update.sh on our build server
  • we pack the output of the update.sh script and upload it onto our release server
  • update packages are downloaded onto the device and are extracted to the inbuilt sd card
  • we set the bootcmd to run setupdate && run update (we have adapted the command in the flash_blk.scr to reset the uboot env after the update)

Is there any suitable solution in the new BSP?

BR Christian

Hi @cheesi ,

did you have a look at our new product Torizon ?

It is a lot different from what you are used to. It enables you to do remote updates, as well as other new features which might be interesting for you. Depending on your requirements, this might be a good fit.

If you like when can schedule a call in which we tell you more about the possibilities of Torizon.

Would this be something you would be interested in?

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx

I already had a look at Torizon, but it looks like our CoM Colibri iMX6SL is not supported. So that doesn’t seem like an option.

BR Christian