Boot-up failed after kernel and modules updated

Hi,
I downloaded and flashed a reference multimedia image (Colibri-iMX6ULL_Reference-Multimedia-Image-Tezi_5.7.2+build.21) to a colibti-imx6ull 512MB SOM. It booted up just fine. Then I enabled a driver in the kernel and rebuilt it with kernel modules. I replaced the kernel (zImage) with the new kernel binary generated and added the new kernel modules to the roof file (.tar.xz) in the reference image. After new image is flashed, I got bunch of failures at boot-up like below:

[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service.
Sep 20 10:44:46 localhost auth.notice dbus-daemon[423]: [system] Failed to activate service ‘org.freedesktop.hostname1’: timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)

See ‘systemctl status systemd-logind.service’ for details.
[ OK ] Stopped Network Time Synchronization.
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Time Synchronization.
See ‘systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service’ for details.
[ OK ] Started Load default USB gadget schema g1.schema.
[ 28.367659] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 28.374452] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 28.397404] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[ OK ] Reached target Hardware activated USB gadget.
[ OK ] Stopped BlueALSA service.
[FAILED] Failed to start BlueALSA service.
See ‘systemctl status bluealsa.service’ for details.
[ OK ] Stopped Login Service.
[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service.
See ‘systemctl status systemd-logind.service’ for details.
[ OK ] Stopped Network Time Synchronization.
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Time Synchronization.
See ‘systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service’ for details.
[ OK ] Stopped BlueALSA service.
[FAILED] Failed to start BlueALSA service.

Here is how I built kernel and kernel modules:
git clone -b toradex_5.4-2.3.x-imx git://git.toradex.com/linux-toradex.git
cd linux-toradex/
source ~/export_compiler
make colibri-imx6ull_defconfig
make menuconfig ----------> Enable a driver to be built in.
make -j3 zImage 2>&1 | tee build.log
make -j3 modules

What am I missing ?

William

Could you please share a full boot log as an attached text file?
Could you please also specify which driver have you enabled via menu config and which option did you choose - Built-in or Module?

Hi Alex.
Attached please find the boot log.
The following is what I enabled as built-in. I also tried to enable it as kernel module and got similar errors.

<*> USB Winchiphead CH341 Single Port Serial Driver

William
KernelBootUpLog.txt (37.0 KB)

I just tried same kernel build procedure with default configuration (no driver enabled ). I got same errors. So the errors have nothing to do with the driver enabled.

Can anybody from Toradex take care of this issue? It’s been more than 3 weeks since I started this thread. I really need to have this taken care of ASAP. Can anybody simply tell me if “toradex_5.4-2.3.x-imx” is a good working branch that I can download the kernel source code from?
Thanks.

After troubleshooting of more than a month, I finally figured out that the errors were caused by updating kernel module. I followed the " Kernel Module Deployment" procedure listed here to update kernel module (I used a flash drive instead of network to transfer the module file to the target ). The errors happened when I used this tar command at the target to extract the file directly to the root (“/”):
#tar -xzf modules.tar.gz -C /

I tried to extract it to a home directory first , then moved the module directory to /lib/modules/. Then I no longer see all failures except BlueALSA failure, which was fixed by disabling bluealsa service.

Now I am getting those failures again when I integrate the kernel module into the root file system archive inside a Toradex Easy Installer package.
$mkdir RFS
$cd RFS
$tar -xf …/Reference-Multimedia-Image-colibri-imx6ull.tar.xz

After the kernel module was copied to RFS/lib/modules/ directory, I used the following command to compress and create a tarball.
$cd RFS
$sudo tar c * | xz > …/Reference-Multimedia-Image-colibri-imx6ull.tar.xz

It appears to me that either extracting or compressing tar command is not working properly. Can Toradex please let me know the right way to update root file system archive?
This is very urgent to us. Thank you.

Finally, you’ve outlined the steps you took; previously, it wasn’t clear how to reproduce your issue. In the future, please provide a complete and detailed description of the reproduction steps.

Please note that the suggested (and supported) method for creating a custom image is by using the Yocto build system. Building the kernel separately is intended only for quick testing. Based on the information you provided earlier, I presumed that the built kernel modules were manually added to the root filesystem directly on the target system.

Regarding your method:

Firstly, all operations on the root filesystem should be performed using root privileges:

$ sudo su
# mkdir RFS
# cd RFS
# tar -xf …/Reference-Multimedia-Image-colibri-imx6ull.tar.xz
— Add your modules here
– Double-check that the added files have the proper ownership and group settings
# cd …
# rm Reference-Multimedia-Image-colibri-imx6ull.tar.xz
# tar -cJf Reference-Multimedia-Image-colibri-imx6ull.tar.xz -C RFS .

Remember to always check file permissions and ownership after making changes to ensure system stability and security

Thank you. It worked!