Bitbake imx8mp for "kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv-6.4.3.p1.4-r0" fails

Team Toradex,

It seems lately, “kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv-6.4.3.p1.4-r0” building is failing due to source URL is either bad gateway or not reachable.

Even browsing via browser is not working to this URL.

Do we have any alternate URL that we can use via BBAPPEND

Source URL - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel

@henrique.tx - Here is the new topic I’m creating. We are using Verdin SOM, imx8mp. No kernel or uboot customization at this time, using Torizon Core as is.

@henrique.tx @jeremias.tx

When we do “bitbake-layers show-recipes “-imx-gpu””, this is the output.

=== Matching recipes: ===
kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv:
meta-toradex-nxp 6.4.3.p1.4
meta-freescale 6.4.0.p2.4+fslc+gitAUTOINC+f2e8483fbd
meta-freescale 6.4.0.p2.4

It seems, “meta-toradex-nxp 6.4.3.p1.4” is being fetched and built from “linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel” URL and this URL is there but not working at all.

meta-freescale has other community recipe for kernel-module to build GPU libs, however we could not find any way to override this recipe to use that community BB recipe.

Greetings @dpatel,

Could you elaborate more on these source issues?

The URL seems perfectly fine to me when I click on it. Also we do builds of our images every night and there hasn’t been any issues related to fetching this source.

Is it possible it was just a temporary issue or a network issue on your end?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@jeremias.tx - We have tried to do_fetch on this recipe from all kind of ISP that we have here in colorado. Most of us use Xfinity, AT&T, Centrylink etc. This link not at all working for us.

Does your nightly builds from clean start or just an incremental build? If it is incremental then Yocto download directory already has those tar balls from where Yocto build this recipe.

@jeremias.tx - We just quickly tried connecting to tier 1 VPN server to Germany and we are able to navigate this URL on browser as well as clone via CLI. It is slow cloning.

Not sure why this URL is having issue with USA DNS servers, but can toradex think of adding some mirror in future release to avoid this issues.

We are hoping for other solution to bypass this link to something else that provides this recipe a successful ‘do_fetch’

I did some further testing and your comment made me realize that when I was testing access to that URL I was connected to the Toradex VPN at the time.

I tried my tests again, disconnected to the VPN this time. Now I’m seeing what your describing. I’m U.S based as well and when I try to access this URL with a web browser, fails with bad gateway. Our test builds are based in Europe, so this is probably why the issue hasn’t been noticed by us.

Toradex doesn’t control this source repository so there’s nothing we can do immediately here. But, let me report this internally and see if there’s something that can be done.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Thank you @jeremias.tx for confirming the issue here. It seems, whole USA might be down for this repo sync.

Do let us know if you can have back up workaround solution in mean time.

As of now it seems like other regions may not be affected, at least the other regions where Toradex operates. Still seeing what can be done.

For the time being one idea for a workaround would be to use a VPN to clone this repo. Then mirror it to another location, like Github for example. Then modify or append the kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv recipe to point to this mirrored repo instead.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@jeremias.tx - We are doing the same currently. This repo is huge ~5 GB. It would be nice if Toradex does fork it on your Github and change your BSP to use that link so that it works out of box for your customers.

It would be nice if Toradex does fork it on your Github and change your BSP to use that link so that it works out of box for your customers.

It would be very unlikely we would do this. This repository is not owned/controlled/maintained by Toradex. By creating a fork we’d be taking ownership of this fork, with code that is not ours. The best we can do is notify the owners of this repo that there’s connection issues here.

In the meantime we just have to workaround this unfortunately.

@jeremias.tx - It make sense. I’m not pushing for forking on your side at all. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

We would appreciate a lot if Toradex has way to reach out to them to let this issue exists in certain geographic region like USA.

Can you now check your connection to this repo on your setup. On my setup the connections seems fairly stable these past couple days now.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@jeremias.tx - Connection is stable now but download speed is too slow, in the order of ~200 Kbps.

So we are using special server of this code aurora REPO url. This new URL is very consistent and download speed is in the order of ~30MBPS

New URL we are using is → “KERNEL_SRC = “git://portland.source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx.git;protocol=https””

Their portland server is very very fast.

Glad to hear you were able to locate an alternative server more locally located.