Ath10k on Apalis iMX6 debug help

Using the various Toradex instructions I’ve set up my Apalis iMX6D 512 V1.1A on Ixora V1.0 so I can add the ath10k drivers to drive a Silex SX-PCEAC mini pcie 802.11 ac Wifi card. I’ve rebuilt the Linux kernel from source and flashed the new kernel to the board. This is the first time I’ve done this on any platform i.e. Linux newbie. The result of my work is some strange behavior. My only choice at this point is to redo everything from scratch unless you have any suggestions on debugging this issue. What I see is:

I’ve attached the two boot up scenarios, one with the Silex card installed and one without. If I boot without the card I see the normal Toradex desktop and, from what I can tell the behavior is normal.

If I boot with the card I get a black screen, but by right clicking the mouse I get access to a list of programs, more than are normally on the desktop, most of which won’t start. But programs like firefox, PCManFM, LXTerminal etc. do start.

If you can just point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

link text