Apalis TK1 Production Release

We’re keen to upgrade from the Apalis T30 to the Apalis TK1 module.

Are there any firm dates for when the Apalis TK1 module is going to be in full production? Are there any power consumption figures to allow us to compare it with the Apalis T30? Are there any finalized specs for things like the camera interface (serial vs parallel MIPI)?

With the existing TK1 errata in mind, will the next (or final) Apalis TK1 module be fully compatible with carrier boards like the Ixora board without requiring any component modifications or value changes?

Kind regards,
Kevin

We’re keen to upgrade from the Apalis T30 to the Apalis TK1 module.

Sure, that makes sense.

Are there any firm dates for when the Apalis TK1 module is going to be in full production?

It’s a little too early for any such. We just finished our re-design addressing the current erratas. We expect V1.1 samples to be available later this year and after completing full validation & verification volume production status is planned later next year.

Are there any power consumption figures to allow us to compare it with the Apalis T30?

Due to the V1.0 erratas power consumption measurements are not that representative yet. We expect to stay below 13 watts with the Apalis standard really limited to 16.5 watts.

Are there any finalized specs for things like the camera interface (serial vs parallel MIPI)?

Nothing on the spec side has changed or is expected to change. That said both parallel camera as well as parallel display interfaces are both not supported on Apalis TK1.

With the existing TK1 errata in mind, will the next (or final) Apalis TK1 module be fully compatible with carrier boards like the Ixora board without requiring any component modifications or value changes?

Yes, that’s the plan.

Hi @marcel.tx,

Thanks for your response.

Do you envisage any undocumented features being added or existing features being removed from what is already available on the current Apalis TK1 board?

Just looking down the list of features for the Apalis TK1 compared to the Apalis T30 on the Toradex website, can you confirm any of the “TBD” features below (some of these are very important for our integration):

• Optional MIPI CSI Camera (tbd)
  • GPIO Keys (tbd)
  • Analog Inputs (tbd)
  • High Speed Serial (tbd)
  • I2C (tbd)
  • Real-time Clock (tbd)

Kind regards,
Kevin

Thanks for your response.

You are very welcome.

Do you envisage any undocumented features being added or existing features being removed from what is already available on the current Apalis TK1 board?

No.

Just looking down the list of features for the Apalis TK1 compared to the Apalis T30 on the Toradex website, can you confirm any of the “TBD” features below (some of these are very important for our integration):

Those are really all purely missing software features which will be added as we progress on our BSP.

Optional MIPI CSI Camera (tbd)

Our camera partner Antmicro actually long since has this working. We just need to integrate it back into our BSP.

GPIO Keys (tbd)

Basic GPIO functionality should already be working fine and adding keys should be most trivial.

Analog Inputs (tbd)

That involves the K20 companion MCU running FreeRTOS and we are just about to release both the MFD infrastructure on the TK1 Linux kernel side as well as the FreeRTOS firmware itself.

High Speed Serial (tbd)

That is basically just not much tested yet plus the 4th UART is currently still missing.

I2C (tbd)

I2C is of course already working but so far only tested on-module. However no issues are expected using the same with off-module aka on-carrier devices e.g. like the below.

Real-time Clock (tbd)

Both the PMIC as well as the SoC RTC should already be integrated and working. We just basically missed adding the I2C RTC which will follow suite shortly.

Hi,

I’m just wondering if there has been any progress with the Apalis TK1 V1.1 and whether the next release will be ready before the end of the year?

Also, are there any plans - either the TK1 or the T30 - to offer a 4GB variant?

Kind regards,
Kevin

I’m just wondering if there has been any progress with the Apalis TK1 V1.1 and whether the next release will be ready before the end of the year?

Yes, we just got the first Apalis TK1 V1.1A prototypes in and so far they look very promising with all but the last errata having been solved.

Also, are there any plans - either the TK1 or the T30 - to offer a 4GB variant?

As far as I know the Tegra 3 aka T30 SoC does not allow for more than 2GB of attached DRAM memory.

While for the TK1 SoC initially we got information about it supporting as much as 8GB DRAM it is not quite clear whether or not it properly supports anything above 2GB at all. While we currently have no plans for a dedicated 4 GB or even 8 GB SKU a customer could order such as build-to-order BTO. We may actually produce a few samples with different DRAM assembly options to further analyse the situation.

Hi @marcel.tx

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you know when it is likely to be possible to buy the Apalis TK1 V1.1 from the webshop?

We’re looking to purchase some of the existing Apalis TK1 modules however we will hold off if the latest ones will be available shortly.

Thanks for clarifying with regards to DRAM.

Kind regards,
Kevin

Do you know when it is likely to be possible to buy the Apalis TK1 V1.1 from the webshop?

I’m not quite the right person to comment on this. It will probably be Q4, could be soon but we may also be sold out before long. The best would be to enquire this with our sales team via shop@toradex.com.

We’re looking to purchase some of the existing Apalis TK1 modules however we will hold off if the latest ones will be available shortly.

Apart from the optimised power consumption and fixed SD card detect not much changed.

Thanks for clarifying with regards to DRAM.

You are very welcome.

Hi @marcel.tx

I’ve sent a message to your sales team, asking this question.

I think for us, its worth waiting for the optimised power consumption version and SD card detect change.

Kind regards,
Kevin