Apalis iMX8QM SOM does not stop booting for image update with easy installer...

Hey guys~

My image update manner for Apalis iMX8QM SOM / Ixora 1.1B is very pre-historic mechanism. ^^
Just looping up recovery pin hole JP4 on Ixora 1,1B board with a line, and then connecting the board with Linux PC through USB OTG port (bottom of the Ixora). Of course JP2 is open.
Then booting is stopped and I can manually trigger booting from a command line through “uuu .” with toradex easy installer image. Probably you will catch up what I will usually do for the image update. Yes… copying finakl image into USB stick and hook it into the Apalis and installing through easy installer… Wow nice!! This might be burdensome work but this is so clear and steppable way preferred by aged person like me. ^^

I have a question. After some of trials, actually from several days ago, my Apalis SOM doesn’t stop booting even with looping recovery pin holes at JP4 and hooking up USB OTG connection between the board and Linux PC. what’s wrong? What treatment I need to do to go back to my past peaceful status. Now I cannot update my Apalis board. Please help me.

All through up happy weekend Guys~

Todd.

[ 8048.323991] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 34 using xhci_hcd
[ 8048.474211] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1b67, idProduct=4025, bcdDevice= 4.01
[ 8048.474217] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 8048.474220] usb 1-1: Product: facedemo-iMX8
[ 8048.474223] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Toradex
[ 8048.474226] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 06540899
[ 8048.494507] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 eth1: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, RNDIS device, 00:14:2d:ff:ff:fe

This is the “dmesg” footprint came out of the OTG port from my Apalis SOM. Actually it doesn’t look same as I have seen when everything was good. “facedemo-iMX8” is a product name I used for my image build. I think it shouldn’t be related to USB hotplugging… Hmm…

Which exactly JP4 pins are you “looping” and how? You should power board off, shorten pins JP4 pins 2 and 3, apply a power and wait at least 6 sec till freeing recovery pads.

Dear Alex.

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I handled JP4 as exactly same as you commented; pin 1 and 2. ^^ 6 sec, 12 sec … booting falls through and always succeeded but wasn’t stopped event that. Is it related to an image already burnt in eMMC?

Hi @toddhwang , after shorten pins JP4 pins 2 and 3, connect USB OTG to PC, apply a power , do you notice LED4, LED5 blinking at the edge of Ioxra?

Dear Benjamin.

JP4 pins 1-2 / pins 2-3 are all the same. The booting process wouldn’t stop, but simply fell through. Oh… then one of things I wonder is that “do I have to see the presence of new USB OTG device through ‘dmesg’ in Linux if I hook up USB OTG link between my ubuntu PC and Apalis board?” Actually I remember that I have seen that before but I couldn’t see any of presence of USB OTG connection inside of Linux kernel…Hmm…

Have you blow any iMX8 internal fuses? If no and nothing helps you can fill this RMA form and send this modules back to us for testing/replacement.

Hi Alex.
I asked RMA request, then no response at all for 2 weeks. What should I do?

Dear Alex.

Oh… sorry for disturbing you. I found that my package has safely make touch-down at the front door of RMA office in Seattle on the parcel track of Fedex at Monday last week. When can I get any response from them?

Thank you for your support.
Best,