Apalis i.MX6Q Firmware Image Update Issue

When i try to flash a certain firmware image “Apalis-iMX6_LXDE-Image_2.7-20180104.tar.bz2” to the Apalis i.MX6Q SOM board, the u-boot reported “No partition table”. The method i tried is to create the necessary SD card/USB thumbdrive then insert into the hardware board and run the necessary command for the firmware image update to happen. However, some problem are encountered during the test. Please see the steps that i followed for the test,

-------------------Start of Description of the Problem-------------------

Use the following method to prepare the SD card filesystem

sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb1
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb1
Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4, default 4): 1
Partition 1 has been deleted.

Partition number (2-4, default 4): 2
Partition 2 has been deleted.

Partition number (3,4, default 4): 3
Partition 3 has been deleted.

Selected partition 4
Partition 4 has been deleted.

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb

Use the Following Method to prepare the SD card

sudo tar xjvf Apalis-iMX6_LXDE-Image_2.7-20180104.tar.bz2
./update.sh -o /media/username/de6dbcbf-d7c7-4255-ba24-bdff9a695393/

Insert the SD card into Apalis Evaluation Board X19

u-boot console command:
Apalis iMX6 # printenv drive
drive=2
Apalis iMX6 # run setupdate
** No partition table - mmc 2 **

Executing script at 12000000

Wrong image format for “source” command
Apalis iMX6 #

-------------------End of Description of the Problem-------------------

Dear @llks, as commented by email:

That method and the BSP used (2.7) is currently deprecated in favour of Toradex Easy Installer (TEZI) and BSP 2.8, which is our latest stable image. I wouldn’t be surprised that we directly no longer support that method in our current Uboot.
Instead of needing to prepare the SD card with the ./update.sh command, I greatly recommend taking a look to the TEZI documentation and see how you can easily reflash and make your images.
This kind of bootloader issues is what made us develop and change where everything is handled automatically given the parameters you set your image with.

https://developer.toradex.com/software/toradex-easy-installer

In this case, you would have to check the “Load Toradex Easy Installer” section to know how to launch TEZI back to the module (like the first time you boot it), extract the image contents to an SD card or USB drive that will be automatically read by TEZI when the flash is inserted.

Kind regards,
Alvaro.