Add 3 extra codecs to Toradex Colibri IMX6

Hi,

Im developing a board with four audio codecs SGTL5000 using a COLIBRI IMX6DL 512MB V1.0B . unfortunately there is just one codec on the module . so I decide to add 3 codecs externally . i am using from i2s ports as master . the pin configuration of this design is as below image .
image.
[upload|bF9+QAgYMxi0aH4iPidrEsVTBtw=]

could you please tell me is this configuration is correct or not ? witch i2s configuration should i use . master or slave ?

as below picture that is captured from this module`s datasheet there are four aud channels in the right side but we have 3 ssi sources . as this diagram and my previous question could you please tell me again can i use 3 extra codecs outside the module and connect them to my module and how ?

[upload|iNcGjw4kuPT0u3JJynJC0qFsjH4=]

Best Regards

Mohammad Abdoli

Hello @mo.abdoli and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

could you please tell me is this configuration is correct or not ? witch i2s configuration should i use . master or slave ?

You can choose master or slave for the configuration of I2s, since as described in the Table 16-1 ( AUDMUX External Signals) of the Reference manual of the iMX6 Soc, these signals are bidirectional and can be changed by software. We used on Colibri iMX6 the master configuration.

as below picture that is captured from this module`s datasheet there are four aud channels in the right side but we have 3 ssi sources . as this diagram and my previous question could you please tell me again can i use 3 extra codecs outside the module and connect them to my module and how ?

AUD5 output is used by the codec on the module, thus you should not use this for your extra codecs on the carrier board, if you want to use the codec on the module too. As you already noted there are only 3 SSI sources, therefore you can have only have 3 audio streams in parallel at same time. Regarding the connection, you should check the section 16.5 of the Reference Manual for iMX6, where the different Operation Modes of AUDMUX are described. Additionally you should also see this.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hello Jaski .
Thanks for the support. can you introduce me any Colibri module that gives me 3 audio streams in parallel at same time ?

Best Regards
Mohammad

Hi Mohammad,

You are welcome. Yes, you can use Colibri iMX6.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi . as i note in my question , I mean 3 audio streams in parallel at same time except the internal codec . in other word i need 4 audio streams in parallel totally .

Hi,
If you need more than 3 parallel audiostreams, then you should have a look here and chapter 25 of the reference manual of iMX6.

Best regards,
Jaski