About Linux 5.0.0 for iMX8

Hello.

I have installed this image.
It is described as “Linux Reference Multimedia, Downstream SoC vendor based kernel, Wayland/XWayland graphics back-end included”.

Questions:

1. After OS loading there is on the screen a demo of “Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”. It is quite nice as demo but how to delete it and bring on top standard Linux desktop?
  2. How to install “Midnight Commander”, “Nano”-editor etc? It was possible in Linux 2.x for Colibri VFx series.
  3. There is no “sudo”-command. What is instead of it? I wonder that this Linux does not have many standard possibilities what were in old LXDE-Linux.

Greetings @Volodymyr!

The reference images we offer for BSP 5.x are exactly that: reference implementations with some built-in utilities so our customers can quickly evaluate, in this particular case, some most common multimedia software such as graphical interfaces, media codecs, etc.

When the OS loads, you see a sample graphical application made with Qt. In this reference image, we do not ship any desktop environment (what you’re referring to as a “standard Linux desktop”) since this is not usual for embedded Linux development.

To build an image with all your dependencies (including utilities such as nano), we offer our Yocto layers. You can then use Yocto/OpenEmbedded to build your custom image based on what we offer, either removing or adding any software you might need.

IIRC, there’s no sudo command because the default user for our reference image is already root. Of course you can add a non-privileged user and also add sudo to your custom-built image.

If you’d rather not use Yocto/OpenEmbedded, I suggest you to try our new, easy-to-use, open-source Linux platform, Torizon. With Torizon you’re able to run application inside containers. You can install anything you want inside these containers and you shouldn’t need to worry about Yocto and building your custom image.