10.1 touch display with apalis iMX8 and Torizon

I have been able to get the touch display to show the screen of my Apalis iMX8. However, I am unable to get the touch functionality working. I didn’t find any documentation for my current Toradex hardware, only for some older hardware. I am running the kiosk-browser container with the following commands:

docker run -e ACCEPT_FSL_EULA=1 -d --rm --name=weston-container --net=host --cap-add CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG -v /dev:/dev -v /tmp:/tmp -v /run/udev/:/run/udev/ --device-cgroup-rule='c 4:* rmw'  --device-cgroup-rule='c 13:* rmw' --device-cgroup-rule='c 199:* rmw' --device-cgroup-rule='c 226:* rmw' torizon/arm64v8-debian-weston-vivante:buster --developer weston-launch --tty=/dev/tty7 --user=torizon

docker run --rm -d --privileged -v /tmp:/tmp -v /dev:/dev -v /run/udev/:/run/udev -v /var/run/dbus:/var/run/dbus torizon/arm64v8-debian-kiosk-mode-browser

As I mentioned, I am able to display the web browser like this, but touching the display does nothing. I have also tried to follow instructions from here for iMX6 and used:

modprobe atmel_mxt_ts

but it did not help. What am I doing wrong?

Greetings @mjs,

The way displays are handled and configured in Torizon differ from our previous BSPs. For Torizon we make use of device tree overlays that can append information to the running device tree without the need to recompile the entire device tree.

The following article details how you can use overlays along with our tools container: https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/setting-up-recommended-displays-with-torizon

The tool comes with default overlays made to work with our off the shelf displays. If you’ve already made changes to the device tree itself I suggest reverting them, as it may conflict with the changes the overlays are trying to make.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I followed the instructions on the link you provided, but after rebooting the device the display is completely blank now. Even after disabling the activated overlays, the display still stays blank. I even tried another HDMI display, but no help. I can now only access the device externally using ssh. Can this situation be fixed or should I somehow reflash the device?

I have not touched the device tree before doing this, so there should be no conflict.

Hi @mjs,

Apologies I just realized now that you are using the Apalis i.MX8. The i.MX8 should work out of the box with our LVDS display with touch working (no overlays required).

However this is only true for recent builds of Torizon as older builds still have issues with touch. To access our more recent builds of Torizon you’ll need to use our easy installer tool. With easy installer you can enable our developer feeds which should give you access to our nightly builds which has all the fixes for the display. Do note that eventually the public build feeds of Torizon will be updated with a more recent build that has this fix as well.

Best Regards,
Jeremias